Saturday, December 22, 2012

Adventuring toward contentment

I'm at home. Sort of. I'm at my parents' house in MN enjoying some relaxation and a nice escape from real life with all its ups and downs and rent. This is a great chance to slow down, kick back, enjoy the moments and smell the flowers. Metaphorically, of course, because a Minnesota winter is decidedly flower-less.

I had great plans to accomplish things -- lots of reading, a load of fiddle practice, all the quality time with parents and brothers that I could ask for. And so far, only the quality time had happened. So why should I be full of discontent and just so ready to move on to the next thing? My time has been nothing but good and I have so much more I can do still... But my poor ol' heart is ever itching for the next place and thing and moment to arrive, sirens wailing.

This quiet Christmas season, I am seeking to find contentment in the moments. In the car with my dad, walking the dog with my mom, packing, visiting relatives, meeting old dear friends for coffee, watching my brothers rehearse, drinking tea on the couch, existing. Simply and gently embracing instants and finding them full of joy. I'm trying to cease my constant desire to rush onward to times ahead and places yet to be met. I wish to be preset and invested here. But I'll see you there soon, Denver apartment family! And I hope to be as present to you then as I aspire to be here and to these dear hearts.

"Investing in a people and a place for a time with full presence and joy" seems easier somehow when the people and place are a future moment. But that lacks the presence entirely...

Thoughts for a Saturday morning.
Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment