Monday, December 24, 2012

Frohe Weinachten!

Christmas Eve with the Baxters is never, ever dull. At this very moment, the regular four of us are spending time up in the frozen, wind-beaten expanses of Wyoming with Grandma Baxter - Dad's mom. When we arrived, we were informed that while we were here, we would be "at her mercy" regarding dinners. She has planned out every meal with regard to what she has been craving. Luckily for all of us, she's been craving all of our favorite German foods - cabbage rolls, sauerbraten with spƤtzle and red cabbage, German potato salad - and it's all been to die for. And lucky me! I was permitted to be in the kitchen when it all happened so I could try to reproduce the recipes at home!

Let me back up a little. If there is a German woman in the kitchen making dinner for more than four people, you'd better stay the hell out of there, or else she'll scream at you until you leave. Most likely chasing you with her biggest, scariest wooden spoon. (This is what I will inevitably become. If I haven't already.) The only way you should ever dare enter a German woman's kitchen is by special request. And for most of us, the honor of such a special request goes something like this: "GET YOUR ASS IN HERE AND PEEL THE POTATOES!"

No wonder the German language always sounds frightening....

I guess I just don't ever feel like I'm at home until someone is shouting at me from the kitchen.

Merry Christmas and Frohe Weinachten to all you lovelies out there. Hope your holidays are significantly less frightening than mine. :-)

Don't forget the pickling spices,
Miranda


No comments:

Post a Comment